[Grok-dev] [Grok website] Proposal for an improved site navigation

Kamon Ayeva kamon.ayeva at gmail.com
Fri May 2 03:34:19 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 3:40 AM, Kevin Teague <kevin at bud.ca> wrote:

> > 1) Get Grok(ked)  [or Get Started]
> >
> > • Installation
> > • "Beginner" Tutorial (this is a direct link to the Tutorial in the
> > "Reference Manual")
> > • Releases
> > • Download or get Grok from svn
> > • Grok extensions
> >

> Note that "Installation" and "Download" have quite a bit of overlap
> between them. Anytime I approach a project I am unfamiliar with, I look for
> "download" first - I would guess the trend is for most people to look for a
> "download" link first? From the download page one gets presented with the
> necessary install instructions (since you don't actually want to download
> Grok, but instead run grokproject and let buildout do the downloading ...).

Ok. I buy that.
So we get less links, like:

• Download (page will include details on the different ways of installing,
including svn)
• "Beginner" Tutorial (direct link to the Tutorial in the "Reference
Manual")
• Gok releases
• Grok extensions

> 3) Documentation
>
> • "Beginner" Tutorial (this is a direct link to the Tutorial in the
> "Reference Manual")
> • Refence Manual (this links to HTML generated using Sphinx on the server)
> • Howtos (PHC)
> • Tutorials (PHC)
>
> This is a reorganization of the current documentation section to include a
> link to the Reference (static html structure) that is going to be generated
> from Subversion,
> as well as user-contributed howtos and tutorials. (Also see the other mail
> from Fred regarding the reference documentation workflow.)
> We also think that the overview menu generated from the PHC - when you are
> in the current PHC - should be removed from the left column because it is
> very long and confusing.

Hosting the offical grok docs (reference, tutorial, notes) as static sphinx
> docs is easy enough. The PHC overview menu will need to be adjusted to
> accomodate it - if you have a working buildout of the grok web site for
> developing on, you can modify the gzo.plonesmashtheme package (
> http://svn.zope.org/gzo.plonesmashtheme/)
>
> gzo/plonesmashtheme/portlets/grokdoc.py and phc_grok.pt make up the
> Documentation portlet that gets presented on the web site. You can modify
> the existing 'phc_grok.pt' template to suit the new/improved navigation
> (feel free to just rip out the topic-based listing stuff if it's
> undesirable). We can't use the same Navigation portlet as the rest of the
> site, since that Portlet just displays content as it's structured within
> Plone. But if you put mirror the top level navigation elements statically in
> the documentation-navigation portlet that should be fine, it's not like we
> are changing the top-level navigation very often.
>
> You can also modify gzo/plonesmashtheme/browser/dochome.pt which is the
> documentation home page template to reflect the new documentation structure.

Thanks for this information.

-- Kamon