[Grok-dev] Re: Cancel button in forms

Brandon Craig Rhodes brandon at rhodesmill.org
Mon May 5 13:15:43 EDT 2008

Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> writes:

> Brandon Craig Rhodes wrote:
>
>> Well, strings that represent absolute URLs in the Zope framework
>> should already come marked with the IAbsoluteURL interface, right? :-)
>
> Marking up a string?  It sounds like you're talking about a URL
> object abstraction as opposed to a string?

No, I was talking about marking the string.  I had never actually
tried it before, and am disheartened to discover that it results in:

AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute '__provides__'

So unless I can teach zope.interface about how to mark up types
without mutable __dict__'s, maybe it's impossible to declare that a
string provides an interface.  How disappointing.  So there's no way
to know what properties a string being passed around in Zope has. :-/

> Anyway, IAbsoluteURL is a multi adapter of context and request, like
> a view.

I think you're maybe confusing IAbsoluteURL, which is an interface,
with the adapter defined in zope.traversing.browser.absoluteurl?