[Grok-dev] Re: Python UK meeting and Django

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed May 7 06:51:28 EDT 2008

Kevin Smith wrote:
[snip]
> They were successful due to brilliant marketing (kudos man), a
> mostly-developed python answer to RoR, a good sense of timing and strong
> community development skills.

Heh, good rant. I agree that they'll have to reinvent lots of the stuff
we already have technology-wise.

This bit I feel comfortable enough to freely agree with as I just wrote
something similar myself. :) I do think these were important reasons for
Django's success.

[snip]
> Of course a real advantage for DJango is that they are AppEngine ready.
> Interestingly the Datastore is much more akin to the ZODB than it is to
> an RDB.

I'm hoping that we'll at least start to see some steps this summer of
porting Zope stuff to other Pythons. Once zope.component is there,
grokcore.component can easily follow. With some hacks you could also
make Grok itself start without needing the ZODB. One of the problems is
that Grok needs a lot of eggs to get going, and will probably go over
the App Engine limit.