[Grok-dev] Re: Python UK meeting and Django

Peter Bengtsson peter at fry-it.com
Wed May 7 06:58:29 EDT 2008

>  I'm having trouble understanding what the words "user" and "developer" mean
> in this context. I thought Django is primarily targeting developers, saying
> it's a "web framework for perfectionists with deadlines". "Users" don't use
> web frameworks. They probably use bits of Django, such as the admin UI, to
> manage content. We don't have the equivalent of that yet in Grok, but
> hopefully we'll have that eventually with the CRUD/BREAD work.

I think what he meant was that "users" is beginner developers and
"developers" is experienced developers.
(on that note, Jacob did say that Jim Fulton is one of the founding
fathers of web apps)

>  What do you mean by "prioritizing community adaptation"?

It's easier to say than to do and I think we've got the right mindset
already but it won't hurt to stress it even further.
Writing documentation, a concise tutorial/book and keep asking
ourselves 'how would a beginner feel if he read/say this?'

We don't need to dumb down Grok but certain things might need another
layer on top. I'm proud of my work on megrok.responseheaders. It's
just an abstraction on top of a rather advanced
decorator-adapter-event-subscription-with-Interfaces but does make it
look less scary for a beginner.

PS. This was written in a rush. You know where my loyalty is, it's
with Grok, but I have to play the devils advocate a bit.

--
Peter Bengtsson,
work www.fry-it.com