[Grok-dev] Re: Python UK meeting and Django

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed May 7 06:56:34 EDT 2008

David Bain wrote:
> It is important to take a lesson from history. The better technology
> doesn't necessary win. It is the technology with the mindshare and the
> marketing.

I agree with this very much. The Grok project in my mind is primarily
two things:

* make it easier to use and learn Zope 3 technology. That's an essential
ingredient to...

* ...be better at marketing Zope 3 technology. I see this as important
an aspect of our project as the technical bits. That's why we have all
the focus on things like the website and documentation.

I'm tech-oriented enough to hope that if we market the strengths of our
technology better, we can get a better mindshare. After all we're
marketing to web developers, and they *do* care about technology. :)

Zope 3 did the strong technology bit but tends to suck at the marketing
bit, which why it got the most uptake from people who were in the Zope
community already. Grok is still in the same position (mostly getting
Zope people) but has the potential, I hope, to go beyond this. I'm
hoping we're seeing the first signs of this.