[Grok-dev] Python UK meeting and Django

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Wed May 7 07:41:12 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 12:28 AM, Peter Bengtsson <peter at fry-it.com> wrote:
> "What key thing do you think made Django so successful?"
> His answer was rather long but never mentioned a single hint about
> features or technology but primarily about how they prioritized the
> community adaptation. As he knew I was there to represent Zope he said
> "I respect what you've done with Grok but I think Zope is for
> developers whereas Django is for users".

Zope 3 definitely is for developers, and a special type of developers
at that. :) Namely those developers that like complexity. Grok is also
for developers, but for developers who want to have a powerful
framwork that they can access quickly and easily.  Zope 3 is like a
jetfighter. Grok is like a jetfighter with fly by wire computer
control. Same power, but much easier ride.

I'm not sure how Django is for "users". Maybe with the definition of
users as "I want to use Django". :)
(Django, btw, is currently in full speed ahead towards redoing many of
Zope2s mistakes, and showed little sign at PyCon of wanting to listen
to others. Django is not a comptetitor of Grok, they will shoot
themselves in the foot, IMO. But don't tell them I said that, because
they will be upset and listen even less to us).

No, "users" want something they can point and click through. Plone
will be that in a year, when we have user-friendly tools for making
content schemas.

> I'm tempted to exit at that but I think it's a point worth taking on
> board if we want to regain the traction we had when zope2 was hot. Or
> is that already what we're doing?

I hope so. I'm hoping to redo my "2007 tour" in 2009, with a talk of
"How Zope got fixed". :)

http://www.colliberty.com/
+33 661 58 14 64