[Grok-dev] Python UK meeting and Django

Brandon Craig Rhodes brandon at rhodesmill.org
Wed May 7 09:40:00 EDT 2008

Reed O'Brien <reed at reedobrien.com> writes:

> reed:~ reedobrien$ easy_install django
> sigh.

I'm not sure what your point is, Reed. :-) Grok is *much* worse than
Django in this respect.  If you try to easy_install django, then, as
you've seen, you get an error.  If you try instead to easy_install
Grok, then you get the wrong versions of a hundred packages tossed
merrily into your site-packages, because we don't bother to list
versions in our setup.py - against all known Python convention, I
might add.  You've then wedged yourself: you can't use Grok now by
trying to import it, but you also can no longer run "grokproject" and
have the resulting app run, because the easy_install inside the
buildout apparently becomes terribly confused by the wrong versions of
things sitting in site-packages, and your Grok project will probably
not run at all until you've gotten on #grok, asked about what to do,
and been guided through removing everything starting with "zope" in
your site-packages.

I think I've helped at least two people in exactly this situation on
#grok myself.

Could we move the versions into setup.py? :-) I'm sorry that I keep
asking this, because I know there's always an answer as to why we
don't, but I can never remember.