[Grok-dev] Python UK meeting and Django

Tim Terlegård tim.terlegard at valentinewebsystems.se
Wed May 7 10:21:00 EDT 2008

On May 7, 2008, at 3:40 PM, Brandon Craig Rhodes wrote:

> Reed O'Brien <reed at reedobrien.com> writes:
>
>> reed:~ reedobrien$ easy_install django
>> sigh.
>
> I'm not sure what your point is, Reed. :-) Grok is *much* worse than
> Django in this respect.  If you try to easy_install django, then, as
> you've seen, you get an error.  If you try instead to easy_install
> Grok, then you get the wrong versions of a hundred packages tossed
> merrily into your site-packages, because we don't bother to list
> versions in our setup.py - against all known Python convention, I
> might add.  You've then wedged yourself: you can't use Grok now by
> trying to import it, but you also can no longer run "grokproject" and
> have the resulting app run, because the easy_install inside the
> buildout apparently becomes terribly confused by the wrong versions of
> things sitting in site-packages, and your Grok project will probably
> not run at all until you've gotten on #grok, asked about what to do,
> and been guided through removing everything starting with "zope" in
> your site-packages.

You can't run easy_install in a buildout, it doesn't make much sense.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. You should just easy_install
grokproject and use that, not easy_install grok or anything else.

People do still get version conflicts though if they have installed eggs
into the system python site-packages. I really really wish that there
was an option in buildout to make it ignore site-packages. I think
I saw Jim mentioning that it's on his todo list, but we need it now.
Many people get stuck on this. Is buildout easy enough so anyone
other than Jim can add this option?

IMHO it would not be bad do support "easy_install Grok" so people that
rather work with just virtualenv could use it. It's a little bit sad
that we
have to point to repoze when people either want grok in a virtualenv
or use wsgi. I hope we can support both right out the box (I know the
latter is coming soon).

/Tim