[Grok-dev] Python UK meeting and Django

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Wed May 7 10:38:06 EDT 2008

Previously Brandon Craig Rhodes wrote:
> Tim Terlegård <tim.terlegard at valentinewebsystems.se> writes:
>
> > You can't run easy_install in a buildout, it doesn't make much
> > sense.  I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  You should just
> > easy_install grokproject and use that, not easy_install grok or
> > anything else.
>
> The issue is that, because so many Grok products are willing to be
> easy_installed these days, many novice users simply try "easy_install
> <foo>" without even looking at any documentation.  I mean, look at
> Reed - he just tried it with Django, whose docs don't mention
> easy_install at all. :-)

This is true for all frameworks I think. For example if you easy_install
Pylons the only useful thing it does for you is add a pylons project
template you can use with paster.

That makes a fair amount of sense. Perhaps grok should depend on
grokproject so that installing grok automatically makes a paster
template for grok projects available.

Wichert.