[Grok-dev] Re: functional test fails

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue May 13 07:53:59 EDT 2008

Hi there,

Uli Fouquet wrote:
[snip]
>> I understand that Uli Fouquet updated the grokproject to just use the
>> zope.security. Uli, am I right?
>
> Yes, I did, although it is not released yet and could be undone. This
> however, would not be a good idea from my point of view.

Yes, we should generate the proper ftesting.zcml from grokproject, which
is to use the new import location.

> If I understood Martijn's proposal right, Grok should come with both
> packages, zope.app.securitypolicy _and_ zope.securitypolicy. Is that
> correct, Martijn? I did a quick check and both packages seem to be able
> to live in peace with each other.

Yes, zope.app.securitypolicy imports from zope.securitypolicy (and is
the bit that generates deprecation warnings). We should depend
explicitly on both though. Eventually we can remove
zope.app.securitypolicy again, but not this release, and with a clear
message in CHANGES.txt and doc/upgrade.txt about what to do.

The general pattern:

* sometimes a package in Zope 3 gets renamed/moved, for instance
zope.app.securitypolicy -> zope.securitypolicy

* the policy in Zope 3 land is to leave the old package around, but just
make it depend on the new package and do a lot of imports from it. It is
made so that it will give deprecation warnings for the people who use
it, so they can adjust their code.

* eventually the old package can be dropped.

Now we did everything right, except for the last step: we dropped the
package far too quickly. We should've simply kept it around.