[Grok-dev] Deploying into production - site.zcml with credentials

Ivo van der Wijk vladdrac at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 04:30:50 EST 2008

Hi,

My customer wants to deploy my grok application into production. I've
provided a rather default buildout.cfg with a admin/admin
username/password for a main manager account.

Of course my customer wants to change this. However, as soon as I
provide an update, any changes to buildout.cfg or site.zcml will be
undone and the old 'admin/admin' u/p will be setup. I also can't
provide a buildout.cfg without site.zcml credentials - you need them
for the first time deployment. The only alternative option I can thing
of is providing two buildouts, one with (for first time deployment)
and one without site.zcml.

How do you guys usually solve this problem? In the Zope2/Plone
buildout world this is not an issue - there you only define a inituser
which can be changed in the ZODB (acl_users) which buildout won't
modify after updates.

Regards

Ivo

--
Drs. I.R. van der Wijk / m3r Consultancy B.V.
Linux/Python/Zope/Plone and Open Source solutions