[Grok-dev] KGS and Grok

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Nov 21 03:33:49 EST 2008

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:
[snip]
> I'd like to update the version of zope.app.publisher in grokcore.view
> from the current 3.4.1 to the recently released 3.5.1 version to be able
> to checkin the fix.

+1

> The tests for grokcore.view do pass with this version, but what possible
>  implications should I look for? How do we decide to up the version
> requirement of a dependency?

Good questions.

KGS has ways to do run the tests against a whole bunch of packages. I
think we should have a way to run these tests for whatever Grok's
package listing is. Failing tests mean some action needs to be taken -
the simplest would be to upgrade whatever dependencies that fix the
breaking tests until it works.

Of course I'm handwaving on the details - I forget even where to find
the KGS stuff that does this. We should add a way to do this kind of
test to Grok's buildout and be done with it, I guess...

One of the problems is that the grokcore.* packages might end up using a
different KGS in their trunk as grok itself does. It'd be nice if we
could, in some way, share the list of versions between these packages.
KGS can do this of course, but we might get away with a shared
versions.cfg somewhere in SVN that all packages depend on with an external?

This means that Grok is going to run its own "Known Good Set" again and
diverge at least to some extent from Zope's KGS. I think that this is
what many Zope 3 projects are actually doing privately; the Zope 3 KGS
isn't moving forward very rapidly, and the whole idea of separate
packages is to give people the freedom to do stuff like this.

So if we can do this publicly for Grok, including releases, we'll be
improving the world for everybody. :)

For people who want to investigate and how this all works and devise a
Plan for Grok on this, please study the zope.release and zope.kgs
packages and report back to us with the plan. :)