[Grok-dev] Naming of grok.provides

Thomas Lotze tl at gocept.com
Mon Oct 13 02:19:40 EDT 2008

We recently noticed that the grok.provides directive is not well-named:

The documentation states that "if the local utility implements
more than one interface or if the implemented interface cannot be
determined, grok.provides() is required to disambiguate for what
interface the local utility will be registered."

OTOH, in zope.interface terminology, the term "provides" has a clear
meaning in contrast to "implements": if a class, for instance,
implements a certain interface, its instances are said to provide it.

We feel that something should be done about this contradiction of
terminologies as it confuses not only newcomers to Grok. Beyond a
documentation improvement, what would be an acceptable fix given that
this directive is rather close to Grok's core?

Thomas

Thomas Lotze · tl at gocept.com