[Grok-dev] megrok.rdb feedback

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 13:27:35 EDT 2008

Martijn asked for megrok.rb feedback, so here is comes.

In general: Good!

The main problem was that the documentation is a bit lacking, the main
problem is that there isn't any pointer to the exampel application
that exists, and that application has all the models in one module, so
if you want several modules it's not exactly clear what you need to
do, which stumped me a bit.

Also, the documentation focuses on a slightly complex example with one
container which is not a model, and two models who are not containers,
but has a relationship. This possible makes sense if you come from the
SQL world, but to a Zopista that is a quite complicated example to
start with. This caused me a lot of head scratching when I wanted a
Folder-type, until I realized I should not use Container, but
QueryContainer + Model as a base class to make a Folder. So probably,
the example application could be extended with a second module with
that type of example, unless it simply is not a good idea, for reasons
that I'm not aware of. (I'm probably not gonna make any folders
anyway, but it seemed like a good, simple example, but there was only
the more complicated example with a relation in the docs).

Setting up the database seems to consist of a bunch of steps that need
to be done in a specific order. Possibly this can be simplified
somehow, by putting these steps into one step.

I liked that there are field types so that making a model is dead
easy. Once I figured out why my database tables didn't get created it
was pretty much plain sailing.

What I haven't looked at yet is to get rid of the ZODB completely, nor
how to make containers that can take some sort of generic content, so
you can have many models in one container. These things may be simple
or complicated, I wouldn't know, but they would be use cases that I
expect people would want to do simply with megrok.rdb. I would expect
a release soon. :-)

http://www.colliberty.com/
+33 661 58 14 64