[Grok-dev] Video-Workshop about … Django

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Thu Sep 18 12:35:25 EDT 2008

Hi Jan-Ulrich,

thank you very much for this interesting link! And sorry for the late
reply.

Am Montag, den 15.09.2008, 12:41 +0200 schrieb Jan Ulrich Hasecke:

> There is an ongoing programming contest in the linux magazine, which
> is published in englisch and german.

Well, I couldn't find the english description of the contest on the
site, but here is a link to the contest tasks written in english:

http://www.linux-magazin.de/content/download/27388/238793/file/Tasks_languages.pdf

It looks like some code gurus ("programming popes" in the original)
tried to solve the tasks given in the paper in different programming
languages.

<OFF-Topic>

The results from the gurus for the first task (sorting a list of
footnotes) can be downloaded here:

http://www.linux-magazin.de/static/listings/magazin/2008/10/sprachen/

while improvements proposed by readers can be found here:

http://www.linux-magazin.de/static/listings/magazin/2008/10/leser/

A (large) file with sample data can be found here:

http://www.linux-magazin.de/static/listings/magazin/2008/10/sprachen/sample4.txt.bz2

Especially for the Python part I must say, that IMO the given guru
solution lacks lots of things, you can do with Python but offers a lot
of things you should _not_ do. It is absolutely not competitive with the
solutions presented for other programming languages and it was not a big
problem even for me to improve the given script dramatically in sense of
memory usage, number of code lines, usability, fault tolerance and
especially run time. The gurus here might do it even better.

The publishers accept improvements of the given code until september,
30th and I think a better Python-Example could really improve the
general standing of Python at least in the german-speaking communities.

</OFF-Topic>

> I saw this video workshop on the german website:
> http://www.linux-magazin.de/linux_magazin_de/online_artikel/
> reloaded_django_video_workshop_von_douglas_napoleone
>
> though I hadn't time to see it all, it seems to be nice and interesting.
>
> Perhaps someone can present Grok.

Douglas Napoleone said, that it took him about two hours to implement
the Django-solution (and that he was very tired, otherwise the task
should be doable in less than one hour). This should be doable with Grok
as well and could also improve Groks public appearance. I never did a
screencast before but this might be a good kick in the ass :-)

Unfortunately, in the current state, this is not easy to do. All the
failures Martijn stated before (failing buildouts with cryptic messages,
etc.) are nothing I would like to present to the public. _But_: if there
should be a working version of at least `grokproject` released until,
say, 28th of september, then I'd be willing to try to create a
screencast with Grok. I am also ready to help, to make this release
happen.

Sorry for the off-topic part.

Best regards,

--