[Grok-dev] Is it feasible to intermingle a Zope3 application with Grok?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Sep 30 09:09:26 EDT 2008

Hey,

rogererens wrote:
> I'm about to learn Zope3 because I'm getting involved in an application
> (OSHIP) that's being built with it. Since Grok aims to make developing Zope3
> based applications easier, I'm wondering if it's possible to start using
> Grok with an existing application (uhm, well, it doesn't exist really yet,
> it's still very alpha)? Is there some sort of migration path/advice?
>
> Or would it involve a complete rewrite?

No, you could start using the grokcore.* pieces in Zope 3 right away;
grokcore.component is the easiest. You could use them for new stuff. If
you want to convert the old stuff to use Grok you'd need to rewrite the
code slightly, but there's no need to do this.

This wouldn't entail using all of Grok, but much of Grok is now spun off
into those pieces and the explicit aim is for them to be reusable in
non-Grok Zope 3 and Zope 2 applications.

> One unrelated question: am I right that there's still no "Who uses Grok" or
> grok.net link on the About Grok page, listing web sites/apps that were built
> with Grok; or did I just not search enough?

Nope, this isn't there yet. People have spoken about adding one but it
hasn't happened yet.