[Grok-dev] grokui.admin referenced twice in generated versions.cfg

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Fri Apr 10 12:44:41 EDT 2009

Hi Martijn,

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Uli Fouquet wrote:
> > The grokui.admin version to use in a grok project is given twice in
> > current standard grokprojects: Once in the versions.cfg retrieved from
> > grok.zope.org/releaseinfo and once in a snippet added by grokproject.
>
> Where is this snippet added? To versions.cfg?

Yep.

> At first glance I'd prefer a simpler approach of simply updating a file
> somewhere compared to adding a snippet.

You mean some URL, like grok.zope.org/releaseinfo/... ?

> That way it's easy to reason
> about your versions.cfg - it's going to be the same as the one in the
> URL, unless you change something. What would be the advantage of
> grokproject doing this?

grokproject indeed fetches the latest versions.cfg from grok.zope.org.
But it adds some stuff not needed with stock grok or only with special
grok instances, the eggbasket recipe version for instance, or the paster
eggs. This makes grokproject more independent from Grok releases,
because you do not have to wait for a new Grok (and accompanied
versions.cfg) if you want a new eggbasket recipe to be used. Beside
this, I fully agree.

Best regards,

--
Uli