[Grok-dev] How you can help improving Windows support

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Mon Apr 13 10:58:43 EDT 2009

Hi there,

Roger Erens wrote:
> on 10-4-2009 15:05 Uli Fouquet wrote:
> >
> > * Roger Erens already put a Win install HowTo on
> >
> >    http://wiki.zope.org/grok/WindowsInstallation
>
> Uhm, the first incantation was written by Shane Graber some 2+ years
> ago. I just happened to be the last visitor to write a comment. Shane
> deserves the glory, not me.

My apologies to Shane Graber!

> >   Thanks a lot, Roger! This should make its way to grok.zope.org. Is
> >   someone willing to port the text over? Maybe Roger yourself?
>
> Done, but I followed quite a different approach: not starting with a
> bare Zope installation followed by downloading a Grok-tarbal, but much
> more resembling the current installation instructions for GNU/Linux
> (install python and win32all, easy_install grokproject, etc.).

Good idea and many thanks for the port! You also added a large list of
TBD (to be discussed) topics, which might be of great value for our todo
list.

I'd propose that we move this TBDs back to the wiki if you agree. This
way we could use the wiki as an easy to edit proto type for the install
howto while the text on grok.zope.org represents our 'current state of
art' for installing Grok on Win platforms.

Everytime a topic is 'finished' on the wiki, we then could port the
results back to the 'final' version on grok.zope.org. So the wiki howto
would be our 'trunk' or development version (including comments,
proposals, TBDs, etc.) from which we generate 'releases' on
grok.zope.org.

My guess is, that in the long run we will need at least several
installation paths there:

 - one for real developers (which will be similar to the Unix/Linux
   installation procedure, I hope),

 - one for people that just want to do a quick(!) peek into the whole
   thing (for example by installing using a quick intaller as proposed
   by Behrang) and don't care too much for setting up sandboxes etc.

But I also think that starting with the former pattern is the most
reasonable approach.

> > * Rogers install howto might also serve as a nice basis for us to start:
> >
> >   If one follows this howto on a clean system, what errors/problems
> >   occur? Everyone who is able to do so, might add experiences on
> >
> >      http://wiki.zope.org/grok/WindowsSupportPlans
> >
> >   where I added an extra section for that and/or file bug reports as
> >   mentioned above. Of course you can also use the mailing list.
>
> Since I only have OEM-licensed Windows, I cannot start with a clean
> (virtualized) environment each time a grok/grokproject release is made.
> Therefore there may be some legacy settings stemming from actions that I
> forgot to mention.

Unbelievable: one cannot start with a clean environment just because of
license? That's really bizarre, but will hit others too.

> I hope the installation howto will get many eyeballs so that all
> remaining problems will become shallow. Head over to:
>
> http://grok.zope.org/documentation/how-to/install-on-ms-windows
>
> Thanks,

Thank _you_, Roger!

One first comment: you state in the howto that Python2.5 and 2.6 are the
'officially' supported versions. I think it is in fact Python2.4 and 2.5
currently. Is that right?

Best regards,

--
Uli