[Grok-dev] Grok 1.0 final?

Hanno Schlichting hannosch at hannosch.eu
Wed Apr 15 05:23:36 EDT 2009

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Martin Aspeli wrote:
>>
>> Having used five.grok a fair bit recently (and liking it!), and having
>> thought about Plone's API story going forward, I think a possible
>> scenario is:

[...]

>>   - We probably won't encourage using grokcore.* or five.* directly, if
>> only to give us a bit more control over the API and its documentation.
>> However, I expect that the Plone API packages will mostly just facade
>> grokcore.*.
>
> -1
>
> Plone should not invent its own API if it is just the same as the grok
> one.  It would be better if these grokcore.* APIs can become part of the
> Zope Toolkit and grok and Plone can share its documentation.

The API's won't be the same in a number of cases. For something like
grokcore.component, we will probably share the exact same semantics and
not shadow it. But things like tiles, page templates and views will
behave in different ways.

The full proposal is not yet finished, so this is a debate to be had
later, when we have something concrete to talk about.

Hanno