[Grok-dev] Grok 1.0 final?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Apr 15 11:23:18 EDT 2009

Hey,

Martin Aspeli wrote:
[snip]
>> I think it's quite possible we could improve this code by some judicious
>> refactoring, but I do think there are use cases for control of template
>> namespaces.
>
> Really? It smells a bit like YAGNI to me when we have update() and you
> can just set variables on the view.

I'll note that completely controlling the dictionary that goes into your
template is a common pattern in many web frameworks. It enables you to
write your templates in a more "push" style, where template developers
are not even tempted to call into funky code paths as they don't have
access to 'context' or 'view'.

With namespace there's also no risk you overwrite something important on
your view.

We can't ignore the issue entirely; we need code to set up namespace
with 'context' and 'request' anyway.