[Grok-dev] progress on megrok.form

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Thu Apr 30 05:01:55 EDT 2009

Hi there,

Uli Fouquet wrote:
> Hi Santiago,
>
> Santiago Videla wrote:
>
> > I made some progress on megrok.form as we talked last week, you may
> > want to take a look here:
> > http://svn.zope.org/megrok.form/branches/fix-dependencies/
>
> Great, that you started that!
>
> > I started with the z3c.widget issue and I think that it's almost
> > fixed. But I found some other problems:
> >
> > 1. megrok.form depends on zc.datetimewidget and the last depends on
> > zc.resourcelibrary. Using hurry.* to tinymce inclusion, there is a
> > conflict between hurry.zoperesource and zc.resourcelibrary. I'm not
> > sure what to do with this. Should I copy all the widgets, javascript,
> > css,... into megrok.form in order to use hurry.* ?
>
> As supposed in another post I made a quick hack, converting
> zc.datetimewidget to megrok.datetimewidget, which uses
> hurry.zoperesource instead of zc.resourcelibrary.
>
> The code (unreleased, of course) hangs around in
>
>   http://svn.zope.org/Sandbox/ulif/megrok.datetimewidget
>
> At least all original tests from zc.datetimewidget pass. But I would be
> interested to know what happens, if you use this instead of
> zc.datetimewidget with megrok.form (also skipping other includes of
> zc.resourcelibrary).

[snip]

Some good and bad news: the good one: I managed to use the SVN version
of megrok.datetimewidget with a regular grokproject and it worked as
expected, i.e. it worked like zc.datetimewidget without pulling in
zc.resourcelibrary.

The bad news: also zc.datetimewidget (and as a result also the
megrok.datetimewidget fork) uses foreign code, in this case GPL licensed
(the calendar JavaScript code). What should we do with this?

Some alternatives I can think of:

1) build at least megrok.datetimewidget in a similar style like
hurry.yui and other eggs, that fetch the foreign code only before
releases, so that the code does not enter the Zope repository. This way
we could use the already used JavaScript (in a newer version).

2) deprecate zc.datetimewidget, megrok.datetimewidget, etc. and use for
example the calendar from YUI (provided by hurry.yui) instead. This has,
however, some drawbacks: with the YUI calendar one can only go
forward/back one month at once. So picking for example your date of
birth can become quite cumbersome: people of age 50 have to click the go
back button about 600 times to pick their date. People of age 99 might
even die before they reach that point ;) There might be a workaround,
however. I am not a YUI expert.

What do you think?

Best regards,

--