[Grok-dev] grokcore.component and trusted adapters

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Aug 11 08:08:27 EDT 2009

Hey,

Martin Aspeli wrote:
[snip]
> It does. I must say I'm dubious about the usefulness of model-based
> security (as opposed to view-based security) in practice, and wary of
> proxies in general (but then I may have just been bitten too many times
> by acquisition).

Terminology clarification: note that Grok (like Zope 2) does have
model-based security - security declarations happen on models. We'd do
Grok injustice if we said it didn't - the security system is quite
capable. It's just the checks happen on the view level.

I share your intuitions here, which is why Grok doesn't have model-based
security checks to start with. In my experience the proxies did get in
the way of doing development properly - it forces you to declare your
security way before you're ready.

But people do like them, and of course they do have benefits. So we do
have plans add model-based security checks as an option to Grok. We
haven't gotten around to it yet.

Anyway, whatever this discussion, we do want grokcore.* to be useful in
Zope 3 which does have model-based security checks, so we do need to
support trusted adapters.