[Grok-dev] data.fs location

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Mon Aug 17 12:38:35 EDT 2009

Hi Tim,

Tim Cook wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 14:23 +0200, Uli Fouquet wrote:
>
> > The first is correct in the sense, as data/ is created by buildout.
> > The latter would be the right thing to do following other Zope project
> > layout conventions.
> >
> > What do you think? Can we stick with parts/data/ or should we switch to
> > var/?
>
> +1 for for var/

Thanks for the first vote :-)

> If I'm correct; all it requires is changing the label in buildout.cfg in
> the parts list and then where zc.recipe.filestorage is defined.
> Correct?

Unfortunately no. AFAIK the zc.recipe.filestorage path is always created
inside ``parts/``. Renaming the [data] section to [var] would create
${buildout-directory}/parts/var/ and not ${buildout-directory}/var.

But as in paster setups both sections, [data] and [logs], use the
z3c.recipe.filestorage template only for creating the directory (which
is some kind of abuse of that recipe IMHO), we should anyway switch to
something more appropriate. Just released z3c.recipe.mkdir for exactly
that purpose (couldn't find an already existing recipe for that).

Current score is 1-0 for switching to var/. I wonder what evil
side-effects that could have (beside confusing developers).

Best regards,

--
Uli