[Grok-dev] buildout-generated config files in grokproject

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Fri Feb 6 07:30:53 EST 2009

Hi there,

Brandon Craig Rhodes wrote:
> Uli Fouquet <uli at gnufix.de> writes:
>
> >   SampleProject/
> >      + etc/  (now empty before running buildout)
> >      + cfg_templates/
> >           + README.txt (tells what purpose files in this dir have)
> >           + deploy.ini.in
> >
> > Before finishing this task, I would like to know, what you think about
> >
> > * the template directory being placed in the project root (could there
> >   be a better place?),
> > * the name of the directory (could there be a shorter name?)
>
> I myself would be tempted to place the templates under "./etc/" and then
> the filled-in templates under "./parts/etc/", because otherwise you're
> violating the practice that everything generated belongs under "parts".
> I think that hiding the directory of generated conf files under "parts"
> will make it much easier for newcomers to guess which file they're
> supposed to edit when, say, their "debug.ini" needs to change.

I now changed the whole setup according to Brandons suggestion. In a new
grokproject you now find the templates for config files in etc/ while
the generated output files can be found in parts/etc/ (unreleased yet).

This means that with a new grokproject release the paster setup must be
started using::

  $ bin/paster serve parts/etc/deploy.ini

or (as before)::

  $ bin/proj-ctl start|stop|restart|fg

The upcoming ``grokcore.startup`` package will also reflect this new
default path.

What currently is a bit annoying: when starting an instance in
foreground, there is a message displayed saying::

  $ ./bin/paster serve parts/etc/deploy.ini
  ------
  2009-02-06T12:06:47 WARNING root Developer mode is enabled: this is a
  security risk and should NOT be enabled on production servers.
  Developer mode can be turned off in etc/zope.conf

The real path of zope.conf, however, is ``parts/etc/zope.conf``. Is
there a way to fix this?

Best regards,

--
Uli