[Grok-dev] My first application 'full Grok' (not in Zope 2)

Sylvain Viollon sylvain at infrae.com
Thu Feb 19 11:59:33 EST 2009

Hello,

   It was bad actually.

   I created a new Grok project, using the latest grokproject, named
   grokcluster. I was naive, I didn't use any options.

   I added that to my app.py:

    class Manager(grok.XMLRPC):

       grok.context(Grokcluster)

       def helloWorld(self):
           return 42

   It is my application.

   After that, I started Grok with:

   ./bin/paster serve etc/debug.ini

   With my browser, I went to http://127.0.0.1/. I got:

   Unauthorized: (<grokui.admin.view.Index object at 0x2b409aec>,
   'browserDefault', 'grok.ManageApplications')

   Instead of a nice logging dialog box. Having the logging box could be
   actually nice to add an application.

   So I restarted my application with:

   ./bin/paster serve etc/deploy.ini

   To be able to log in.

   And I added an application.

   In a term, with a python2.5:

     >>> import xmlrpclib
     >>> s = xmlrpclib.ServerProxy('http://127.0.0.1:8080/jel3')
     >>> s.helloWorld()
     *nothing happens*

   And nothing will happens in the next thousand years
   I think. No error in the Grok console, nowhere.

   I restarted in debug, same. With:

     ./bin/grokcluster-ctl fg

   It run paster, so the same. I can find in my project directory how to
   run it without paster.

   It seems that XMLRPC doesn't work with WSGI (I guess).

   I should have use grokproject --zopectl. But I didn't known. And I
   can't switch without recreating a new project and copying my code,
   as far as I known.

   I think we should document that somewhere. Probably. And ... I don't
   known if it is fixable.

   (http://grok.zope.org/documentation/how-to/xml-rpc-web-services/?searchterm=xmlrpc)

   Best regards,

   Sylvain.