[Grok-dev] How do I add Python 2.6 support to Grok?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Feb 20 10:05:49 EST 2009

Alec Munro wrote:
> No. We use a lot of ternary statements, and some of our other software
> has bugs that are fixed by 2.6, but we can work around those if
> necessary. I'll start testing with 2.5.
>
> I'm principally annoyed that the version dependencies, and reasons
> thereof, seem to be so difficult to address. As far as I can tell,4
> out of my 5 problems could be solved very easily:
>  - 325353: For requiring Visual C++ to build zope.security, isn't this
> just a matter of someone providing a prebuilt binary to pypi?

Hm, I know that the Zope developers are building them open source tools
to build the eggs, so perhaps Python 2.6 is creating some issues?

This is a zope framework issues so I've also added your issue to the
Zope 3 bug tracker. This probably is best discussed on zope-dev; if you
don't hear any responses drop me a mail and I'll help out.

It reminds me we should ensure for Grok 1.0 that all binary eggs are
available for Python 2.5 and Python 2.4 on Windows:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/grok/+bug/332076

>  - 317081: Requiring ~\.buildout\default.cfg to use "Docume~1",
> instead of "Documents and Settings". Seems like this should be an easy
> fix, and I should hope is already fixed somewhere.

I've reported that workaround on the issue so that potential fixers can
take a look.

>  - For the egg package version changes, these may already be in the trunk.

Could you be more specific? If not I want to know what the problem is. :)

Thanks for bringing up these issues in a summary, I think it's very
useful to do that. I had missed much of the previous discussions apparently.

We keep dropping the ball on our Windows support. I think what we need
is someone who can actively help with testing and fixing bugs on
Windows, and helps to keep the Windows-related issues on our collective
radar. Any volunteers?