[Grok-dev] The z3c.widget is broken

Steve Schmechel steveschmechel at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 24 00:29:45 EST 2009

This did work.

Setting the find-links property to this URL was removed from grokproject at around Grok version 0.13 (then added again and then removed again).
http://svn.zope.org/grokproject/tags/0.8/TODO.txt?rev=88336&view=auto
http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/checkins/2008-May/020444.html

I imagine there was good reason for removing it.
http://www.mail-archive.com/zope3-dev@zope.org/msg09479.html

However, should grokproject at least leave a comment in the generated buildout.cfg explaining its possible use?  This is a bit confusing for new developers, as the only place it is mentioned in Grok documentation is in an example that is part of the "Introduction to zc.buildout" tutorial.
http://grok.zope.org/documentation/tutorial/introduction-to-zc.buildout/zc.sharing-example

Should the how-to's always include the full buildout.cfg required to run the examples given?

Another annoyance with the "find-links" method is the time it takes to download the 15 MB z3c.javascript package this way - very slow.

The z3c.widget and z3c.javascript packages do not seem to have been updated for quite some time.  Does this mean they are in "wide use" and "very stable" or do most developers choose to use other components in their new applications?

Thanks,
Steve