[Grok-dev] Graphs and Plots

Jeroen Michiel jmichiel at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 16 09:56:05 EDT 2009

Hi all,

For the project I'm working on, I need to draw lots of graphs and plots of
statistical data.
I was thinking about matplotlib, but I don't find anything about it combined
with Zope3/Grok.
Is there anything like that available somewhere?

If not, I'll have to do it myself, but I'm not sure what would be the best
way to tackle this?
* Easiest would be to make separate views for each chart that I pass in the
HTML img src attribute. However, that might incur extra overload, as I might
have to do the same calculations twice or more: once for the main page and
once for each graph or plot. I could try to cache the data somehow (session
data or memcached), but that might complicate things. You could refer to a
single graph by it's url, however, without ever needing the main HTML page.

* Another approach would be like the Google Chart API, that the graph data
is encoded in the url, and that I have one generic view that can render any
chart by changing the url GET params.
That, however, would force one to go to the main html page to get the right
GET params to go with the graphs.

What would you guys suggest?
I personally think the view per chart with memcached as a possible later
optimization would be best, but I'd like a 'second opinion' on this one.

Thanks!