[Grok-dev] grokproject configures z3c.testsetup instead of grok.testing

Steve Schmechel steveschmechel at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 9 12:29:25 EDT 2009

--- On Sat, 3/7/09, Kevin Teague <kevin at bud.ca> wrote:

> From: Kevin Teague <kevin at bud.ca>
> Subject: Re: [Grok-dev] grokproject configures z3c.testsetup instead of grok.testing
> To: steveschmechel at yahoo.com
> Cc: "Uli Fouquet" <uli at gnufix.de>, "Grok list" <grok-dev at zope.org>
> Date: Saturday, March 7, 2009, 5:17 PM
> >

> > I am all for powerful tools that can be used in a
> simple way.  (That is what attracted me to Grok in the first
> place!)  grok.testing looked simpler, but if z3c.testsetup
> provides more power and can be approached easily, than that
> is the way to go.
> >
> > Should we maybe get rid of grok.testing as another
> option or at least not have it appear to supersede
> z3c.testsetup in the documentation?
> >
> > I would rather see one option that works and is
> explained well than a bunch of choices where I am not sure
> which is the best.
> >

> grok.testing basically just provides a
> grok.testing.register_all_tests() function, which returns a
> specialized z3c.testsetup.TestCollector instance in the
> grok.testing.GrokTestCollector class. This class just adds a
> layer named 'GrokFunctionalLayer' which will by
> default read from the ftesting.zcml configuration in your
> package. So grok.testing uses z3c.testsetup, it's just a
> matter of explaining in the docs that grok.testing is just
> an easier way of setting up z3c.testsetup to functional test
> a Grok-based package.

I understand that they are the same thing "under the hood".
So, for someone starting a new Grok project, would you recommend modifying the default files that grokproject creates to use grok.testing or just start writing functional tests and worry about this issue sometime in the future?

Are there ongoing changes that one would have to make to the z3c.testsetup configuration as you extend your application which you could avoid by using grok.testing?

Are there certain external libraries/dependencies (ORM, Authentication, different templating systems) that, when used in a project's buildout, may cause grok.testing to not work and you would have to go back and configure z3c.testsetup anyway?

I don't imagine that switching between these two would be anywhere near as disruptive as changing a VS .Net solution from NUnit to MSTest, but I want to get a feel for what factors might make you choose one configuration over the other.

Thanks,
Steve