[Grok-dev] hurry.extjs

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon May 4 14:32:22 EDT 2009

Santiago Videla wrote:
> Hey,
>
> As far I understand, we can't package ExtJS and publish it on pypi....
> :(  Developers must download it manually from their web site.

All these extensive license pages which seem to add interpretations to
the GPL 3.0 *plus* that you now have the understanding that you're *not*
allowed to publish ExtJS on PyPI even though the GPL explicitly allows
such redistribution reaffirm my belief to stay away from ExtJS due to
licensing confusion. :)

Note that the "open source" exception (for whatever that is worth
anyway) only pertains to ZPL 2.0, which hasn't been in use for some
years now. I will note that this page of the FSF *does* claim the ZPL
2.1 is compatible with the GPL 3.0:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses

 > The only thing I can imagine in order to create hurry.extjs, it's to say
 > in the README:
 >
 > 1) Download ExtJS from here: http://.... and place it in your home
 > directory.
 > 2) Include "hurry.extjs" in your setup.py
 > 3) run ./bin/buildout (hurry.extjs will extract and copy ExtJS for you)
 >
 > Does have any sense?

Yeah, something like this might work. You could simply instruct people
to download ExtJS and include a <resourceDirectory> statement in their
app to publish it.