[Grok-dev] Grok raw performance

Hanno Schlichting hannosch at hannosch.eu
Mon May 11 05:28:56 EDT 2009

Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
> Raw performance comparison of grok and competing web frameworks
> method: ab -n 1000 http://localhost:port/
> system: ubuntu8.4, python2.6
>
> # grok (wsgi) == 100%, bigger numbers are better
>
> 0.8 ... grok (zopectl, zodb)
> 1.0 ... grok (wsgi, zodb)
> 2.3 ... zope2.12 (zodb)
> 7.3 ... repoze (zodb)
> 7.3 ... pylons (no db)
> 8.6 ... repoze (no db)

This comparison is highly dependent on what the particular framework
ships with as their "default page". Numbers are also highly dependent on
the exact way that page is setup, for example using some templating
language or just a browser view / controller returning a plain HTML
string. To be fair you should also try to disable any kind of debug-mode
or similar functionality to get numbers that matter for deployment.

Chris has some good instructions at http://www.plope.com/whatsitdoing2
on how to get some halfway comparable numbers.

If I change the default persistent index_html page template from Zope
2.12 to be "<html><body><h1>Hello world</h1></body></html>" and render
that in production mode, I get a consistent 500 req/sec vs. 320 on the
default quick start page.

Hanno