[Grok-dev] Grok via easy_install

Kevin Teague kevin at bud.ca
Mon May 11 13:55:54 EDT 2009

On May 9, 5:50 pm, Patrick Gerken <do3cc... at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know if this is really be a bug, but atm if I try to install grok
> via easy_install, it pull the depencies with wrong versions.
> Should this use case be supported or not?

This is largely a drawback of easy_install, it will always grab the
newest requirements in the 'install_requires' dependency graph. It's
possible to pin this graph down to specific versions, but it would be
a huge hassle, requiring every package Grok depends upon be released
with every Grok release. It makes much more sense to have
install_requires only be as specific as API compatability for a given
package.

However, if you really do want to use easy_install, it would be
possible to take the same approach as TurboGears and BFG, and build a
package index for each release that only contained packages in that
specific release. It's kind of a backwards way of solving the problem
but it works.

Alternatively use buildout or pip :)