[Grok-dev] hurry.extjs

Santiago Videla santiago.videla at gmail.com
Thu May 14 10:21:27 EDT 2009

Hey,

I was trying to find a way to solve the licenses conflicts with the ExtJS
guys. And now I need to back to you guys, what could you say about this?:

"""
You can distribute Ext JS with a ZPL extension, but Ext JS must remain
clearly GPL.  It's two licenses side by side.  So if you 'package' Ext with
the ZPL extension, and developers download the package with the expectation
that the whole is ZPL licensed, that is a problem.  If licensing on the SVN
can include both ZPL and GPL, then that could work.
"""

I'm not sure if that it's possible in svn.zope.org

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com>wrote:

> Santiago Videla wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > As far I understand, we can't package ExtJS and publish it on pypi....
> > :(  Developers must download it manually from their web site.
>
> All these extensive license pages which seem to add interpretations to
> the GPL 3.0 *plus* that you now have the understanding that you're *not*
> allowed to publish ExtJS on PyPI even though the GPL explicitly allows
> such redistribution reaffirm my belief to stay away from ExtJS due to
> licensing confusion. :)
>
> Note that the "open source" exception (for whatever that is worth
> anyway) only pertains to ZPL 2.0, which hasn't been in use for some
> years now. I will note that this page of the FSF *does* claim the ZPL
> 2.1 is compatible with the GPL 3.0:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses
>
>  > The only thing I can imagine in order to create hurry.extjs, it's to say
>  > in the README:
>  >
>  > 1) Download ExtJS from here: http://.... and place it in your home
>  > directory.
>  > 2) Include "hurry.extjs" in your setup.py
>  > 3) run ./bin/buildout (hurry.extjs will extract and copy ExtJS for you)
>  >
>  > Does have any sense?
>
> Yeah, something like this might work. You could simply instruct people
> to download ExtJS and include a <resourceDirectory> statement in their
> app to publish it.
>
> Regards,
>
> Martijn

Santiago Videla
www.revolucionesweb.com.ar
http://www.linkedin.com/in/svidela

Sigue la mata dando de que hablar siempre abajo y a la izquierda donde el
pensamiento que se hace corazón resplandece con la palabra sencilla y
humilde que l at s tod at s somos.