[Grok-dev] Grok 1.0a4 released!

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Fri May 22 03:16:56 EDT 2009

Tim Cook wrote:
> Okay, so my sarcastic instructions didn't go over to well I guess.

Well at least not by me, moments after doing a release.

> It seems to me that the following is the best (only?) way to upgrade.
> (Assumes you already use virtualenv)
> create a virtual environment for a new grok project:
>
> $ virtualenv  --python=python2.5 --no-site-packages grok1.0a4
> $ cd grok1.0a4
> $ source bin/activate
> $ easy_install grokproject
> $ grokproject MyProject
> $ cd MyProject
> Now copy the new MyProject versions.cfg to your original project,
> overwriting the current versions.cfg

Right, now I understand the confusion; buildout.cfg files created by
earlier versions of grokproject used to have an extends directive
pointing to http://grok.zope.org/releaseinfo/grok-x.x.cfg.

Merely updating the directive to point to the lastest release and
running bin/buildout again would then have been enough for upgrade
MyProject.

But grokproject has changed; it downloads the versions file now instead.
So yes, I guess your procedure is correct here.

In that sense claiming the upgrade instructions are the same as the
former release and the the release before that are a mistake.

regards,
jw