[Grok-dev] Wierd Thing: Grok Groping All Modules?

Ethan Jucovy ejucovy at gmail.com
Sat May 23 20:27:34 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
> Jeff Rush wrote:
>> It is also interesting that I'm running it in a virtualenv --no-site-packages
>> and buildout, and it -still- is reaching out to my system site-packages to
>> find speechd.  I can't seem to keep its hands off my site. ;-)
>
> That is peculiar. I would suspect z3c.autoinclude again, but I don't
> know how...
>
> Ethan, can you replicate that behavior?

I haven't been able to yet.  Here's what I did:
{{{
virtualenv --no-site-packages groktest
cd groktest; source bin/activate
grokproject testproject
cd testproject
python setup.py develop
paster serve parts/etc/deploy.ini
}}}

I added print statements to z3c.autoinclude in dependency.py right
before the `zope.dottedname.resolve` line.  Everything that was being
touched was within the contained environment.  I then did `apt-get
install python-speechd inkscape` and restarted the paste server.  No
change, and everything started up fine.

Now that I had python-speechd and inkscape installed globally, I then
repeated the same procedure a second time.  Same results.

I'm pretty sure this isn't the standard way to start a new grok
project, though?  Neither Michael's instructions earlier in this
thread nor the documentation online at grok.zope.org mention `python
setup.py develop` .. and after I ran the above steps, z3c.autoinclude
was installed at v0.3.1, but there's a versions.cfg file in the
testproject layout that pins z3c.autoinclude to v0.2.2, which is the
version in Jeff's problematic traceback.

But running testproject/bin/buildout *without* explicitly installing
testproject via setup.py resulted in a "DistributionNotFound:testproj"
error when I started the paste server, so I'm not sure if I should be
doing something differently to try to reproduce this?  (Sorry; it's
been a while since I started a new grok project, and I've never, haha,
grokked buildout very well.)

I'm using Py2.5 on Ubuntu 8.04.

I'll also mention that I doubt the discrepency in z3c.autoinclude
versions is the problem here; IIRC the dependency.py code is almost
identical between the two versions.

egj