[Grok-dev] Grok Menu

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 07:58:55 EST 2009

Souheil CHELFOUH wrote:
> I'm very interested into that. Is anyone willing to work on that with
> me ? J-W, I guess you won't have much time for that.

Not really, but it is still a topic that needs work badly.

Our current approach is not to use "zope's menus" at all, but merely
implement menu-like UI components by way of viewlets.

There's a couple of advantages to that:

1) viewlet-based menu items can easily be registered based on layer and
context and premission requirements.

2) viewlets are generally well understood.

3) URL computation can sometimes be easier.

4) Menu items are registered outside of the views, whereas megrok.menu
registeres menu items as part of the views.

One remark: one of my "conclusions" after discussing menus during the
Neanderthal sprint was that there seem to be two types of menus:

* Menus that provides links to actions or views for the current context
object ("list contents for this container", "view container", "set
permissions for this context", etc.).

* Menus that provide navigational elements for the complete application
("go the the application root", "show the user preferences view",
"configure this or that view").

That's just a quick list of thoughts.. there's probably way more things
to think of...

regards,
jw