[Grok-dev] easy_insatll -U returns 1.0b already installed?

Kevin Teague kevin at bud.ca
Wed Oct 7 21:24:59 EDT 2009

On Oct 7, 2009, at 5:31 PM, Milind Khadilkar wrote:

> Hello, everybody!
> Congrats to the developers!
>
> Pascal, for me easy_install -U worked without errors.
>
> But I am using the python environment directly, because virtualenv
> seems not to work for me (https://answers.launchpad.net/virtualenv/+question/84741
> ).
>
> (Probably) because of that when running grokproject to create a grok
> project, I get the error:
> While:
>   Installing eggbasket.
> Error: There is a version conflict.
> We already have: zope.schema 3.4.0
>
> Probably because I have Zope 3.4.1 and Zope 2.12 also installed.

You definitely want to isolate your packages if you've got Zope 2,
Zope 3 and Grok installed!

The answer to your virtualenv problem is here:

   File "c:\python25\lib\socket.py", line 45, in <module>
     import _socket
ImportError: No module named _socket

You need the compiled _socket extension module to be available as part
of your Python install. So I think this is a problem with the Python
build that you're using. Try gettting another Python install with a
working _socket module and you should be good.