[Grok-dev] Dolmen and its releases

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 09:12:55 EDT 2009

Souheil CHELFOUH wrote:

Nice to see so many new packages! :-)

> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/dolmen.file
> A Zope3/Grok File Representation package.
> dolmen.file is a layer above zope.app.file.file.File, adding a notion
> of filename, missing in the original implementation.

Is it Grok specific? Otherwise, there's also plone.namedfile, which I
guess does something similar.

> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/dolmen.blob
> Dolmen zodb blob handlers (using ZODB >= 3.9.2)
> dolmen.blob is a layer above dolmen.file, using the ZODB blobs as a
> storage facility. It respects the zope.app.file IFile and the
> dolmen.file INamedFile interfaces.

... which is also in plone.namedfile (as an optional extra if you don't
have blob support in your ZODB). :-)

> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/dolmen.relations
> Dolmen relations
> dolmen.relations is a thin layer above zc.relation, allowing a simple
> and straightforward implementation of standalone relationships between
> objects.

How is this different to z3c.relationfield, which I believe is also used
by Grok?

> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/dolmen.thumbnailer
> Dolmen thumbnailing library
> dolmen.thumbnailer is package specialized in Thumbnail generation.
> Using the dolmen.storage mechanisms, it allows a pluggable and
> flexible thumbnail storage.

Cool. What does it use to scale? At what time does it do the scaling?
(upload? download?)

> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/dolmen.widget.file
> File widget for z3c.form, using Grok
> dolmen.widget.file is a package that walks hand-in-hand with
> dolmen.file. It provides a useable and pluggable way to render the
> dolmen.file.FileField in a z3c.form.Form, using Grok (through
> megrok.z3cform.base)

Nice. There's a file widget in plone.formwidget.namedfile, by the way,
although that's possibly a bit more Ploney.

> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/dolmen.widget.image
> Image widget (with thumbnails) for z3c.form, using Grok
> dolmen.widget.image is a thin layer above dolmen.widget.file providing
> a widget suitable to fields implementing IImageField. It adds, thanks
> to dolmen.thumbnailer a preview of the uploaded image in both input
> and display mode.

Again, one can be found in plone.formwidget.namedfile, though that
doesn't have scaling support yet. Hopefully, that'll get added soon,
maybe with the dolmen.thumbnailer thing.

> We have also released the first version of megrok.z3cform.base, used
> in the project
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/megrok.z3cform.base/0.1"

That's really good to hear. We have some z3c.form-in-Grok stuff in
plone.directives.form. I would like to maybe unify that with something a
bit more Grok specific. I'm hoping that in Plone 4/Zope 2.12 it'll be a
bit easier to use standard z3c.form forms (currently there's a
requirement to wrap forms in a view when using plone.z3cform, which
annoys me a bit).

Martin