[Grok-dev] Losing momentum

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Feb 1 09:54:35 EST 2010

Hi there,

Can you instead phrase this in a more positive way in the future, i.e.
"gaining momentum"? Or "working towards the release"? I'm already tired
of zope-dev, a veritable black hole for momentum, and I don't want to be
reminded of it on this list, please.

Souheil CHELFOUH wrote:
> It's a fact, we do not want to lose the energy and get drowned into inertia.
> In order to get Grok 1.1 released, what about organizing a sprint ?

I just was at such a sprint two weeks ago. :)

> We need that to tidy the remaining tasks and jobs and get things done.
> What do you guys think and what would be the schedule ?
> It would be a good time to draw the line for grok 1.2 too

I'll quote from the previous sprint report (edited with updates):

Free Grok from most of zope.app.*. We believe what's keeping most of it
alive is zope.app.zcmlfiles and zope.app.testing, so those two need to
go. Remain will zope.app.wsgi, zope.app.publication and
zope.app.appsetup, and perhaps a few others we haven't found out about yet.

The goal is therefore to free these three from dependencies on
app.zcmlfiles and app.testing.

There's a branch for zope.app.wsgi built on top of the basic testlayer
which reproduces the behavior of zope.testbrowser's Browser, but using
ZCML, using wsgi_intercept. Unfortunately Sylvain ran into a snag when
trying to free that bit from zope.app.testing; there was some issue with
running multiple tests and test setup. Ask Sylvain for details. This is
the biggest blocker at this point.

We've freed zope.app.appsetup from zope.app.testing and zope.app.zcmlfiles.

We still need to free zope.app.publication from app.testing and
app.zcmlfiles as well. We have however done some of the required work
there, getting rid of the dependency on zope.app.testing.ztapi. This is
probably the other largish chunk of work.

There'll undoubtedly be more that comes up, like
zope.app.authentication, but you already took care of that one.

I'd like to land this work for Grok 1.1 if at all possible. I *hope* we
can create a Grok 1.1 that can run without zope.app.* packages on the
path, except the zope.app packages mentioned before. We can't release
just that, we also need to release a backwards compatible extension that
pulls in all the zope.app.* packages as people might be depending on them.

We also need to write a document that tells people what we're doing with
the dependencies, what they can do to adjust their code, that we can put
in the documentation with the release.

It may be we don't get this dependency work done before Grok 1.1. That'd
be too bad, but I'd say if we don't see progress on this in two weeks,
we just go for a release of Grok 1.1 more or less as it is now.

We're already sitting on a lot of branches we need to merge for Grok 1.2.

We have the Martian inheritance work and various grokcore.* packages
with adjustments to account for those.

We have the new template registry work on grokcore.view.

Undoubtedly there's more dependency work that remains to be done for
Grok 1.2 as well, even if we get Grok 1.1 in the shape I'd like it to be.