[Grok-dev] Grok and chameleon

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 11:15:12 EST 2010

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I think we should be careful with this stuff. That is, we should
> definitely allow a profile of grokcore.view that uses the
> zope.pagetemplate implementation. That should be fine with Zope 2.
>
> In general the whole concept that "we can't do this because Zope 2 is
> using Grok stuff" worries me a little as we might end up in the "too
> many different stakeholders to move anywhere" situation all too easily.

Think of it this way instead: We've published a package that promises a
certain way of working right now. If we're making major policy changes,
we need to consider backwards compatibility for consumers of that
package. That's not "too many stakeholders". That's everyone who decided
to use a package that promised to be useful to people not using
Grok-the-framework in its entirety.

> So while I appreciate the input, and I'm going to listen to it, I'd be
> against letting it weigh so heavily that Grok cannot evolve forward
> anymore.

What I'm saying is that you need to consider that the reason for making
grokcore.* in the future was to make this stuff more usable to other
users of Zope technologies. IMHO, these types of policy decisions
probably belong in Grok, not grokcore.*, for that reason.

(If Grok is no longer interested in that, please the world know, since
various people, myself included, are arguing for grater adoptition of
these tools outside Grok today).

> So, Zope 2's stakeholders will just need to figure out how to make our
> changes work with Zope 2, and the more you help us transition to
> Chameleon the more control you'll have over how it's done. :)

If that's your way of saying that you don't care about other users of
grokcore.*, and you're not going to worry about backwards compatibility,
then I've misunderstood the purpose of grokcore.* in the first place. I
hope that's not what you're saying, though. :)

If it is, I have a lot of code to rewrite. :(

Martin