[Grok-dev] adding ZPL.txt to the various grokcore.* libraries

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sun Feb 14 15:29:58 EST 2010

Hi there,

Uli Fouquet wrote:
> I just copied over the LICENSE.txt from grok and sticked with the name.
> Must this file really be named 'ZPL.txt'? If so, I am volunteering to
> change all the filenames.

I'm all right with sticking with LICENSE.txt. It's a familiar way to
name this, and the header we have in our source files would cause people
to look for either:

# This software is subject to the provisions of the Zope Public License,
# Version 2.1 (ZPL).  A copy of the ZPL should accompany this distribution.

> Then, I found 8 packages, that declared the GPL as their license in
> setup.py:
>
> megrok.resource
> megrok.resourceviewlet
> megrok.z3cform.base
> megrok.z3cform.composed
> megrok.z3cform.layout
> megrok.z3cform.tabular
> megrok.z3cform.ui
> megrok.z3cform.wizard
>
> For these packages I _switched_ the license statement in setup.py to
> ZPL. I hope you don't mind, but if one of the authors does not agree
> with this step, please step up! AFAIK, code hosted on svn.zope.org must
> be ZPL-licensed.

Agreed. We can't go and claim the GPL for licenses in svn.zope.org,
true, so we should be careful with this.

Thanks very much for doing this! At least now the license situation for
the projects managed by or affiliated with the Grok project is clear.