[Grok-dev] [OT] Marketing: noSQL?

Roger Erens roger.erens at e-s-c.biz
Mon Feb 15 09:48:19 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 15:04, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Toni Mueller wrote:
>
>> I'm aware that this is not the right forum to talk about this, but due
>> to lack of a better place, I'd like to throw the idea out here into the
>> open:
>
> I think this is the right place to talk about marketing Grok.
>
>> Recent hype has it to mention databases that don't require/offer SQL.
>> See http://nosql-database.org/ for an overview. From my perspective,
>> the ZODB would fit "perfectly" into this scheme of a database that has
>> no SQL, right?
>
> Good point. Last year at Pycon there was a lot of buzz about NoSQL.
> CouchDB, MongoDB, Cassandra, etc. Nobody mentioned the ZODB, except
> Guido in an object relational mapper panel discussion and he was
> criticizing it (not unfair criticism). I was so pleased *someone* had
> mentioned it I rudely interrupted him to cheer. :)
>
>> If you think this way and can say something meaningful
>> about it, it would be great if you could add an appropriate entry to
>> this site. If you can't, but suspect someone else can, please notify
>> him or her about this issue.
>
> Right, hm, this is one for the website folks. Please reply and show
> you're paying attention. We got the documentation folks organizing
> already...

I could send a message to that website's owner, Prof. Stefan Edlich.
Please help me fill in the blanks before I contact him:

API:
  Python 2.4.2 and later

Protocol:
  blank?

Query Method:
  blank?

Replication:
  ZEO?

Written in:
  Python

Concurrency:
  blank?

Misc:
  something more about ZEO?

Links: e.g. Books, Talks, Presentations
  https://launchpad.net/zodb
  http://docs.zope.org/zodb/
  http://wiki.zope.org/ZODB/FrontPage

Website:
  http://pypi.python.org/pypi/ZODB3

General remark about the nosql-database.org website:
  SQL is not the only way to implement a relational DB:
SQL != RDBMS

Roger