[Grok-dev] Grok 1.1 important issues

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 14:10:52 EST 2010

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman <janwijbrand at gmail.com> wrote:
> Important remark:
>
> The grokproject tool download the releaseinfo/grok-1.1rc1.cfg file into the
> newly created project as a versions.cfg file to support offline building.
>
> The grok.cfg in the groktoolkit extends the ztk.cfg in the zopetoolkit and if
> we upload it to releaseinfo/grok-1.1rc.cfg without modifications, we will
> break the offline building possbility, since the downloaded file will still
> extend the ztk.cfg file.
>
> In other words, I think the grok.cfg file in a groktoolkit _release_ needs to
> include the versions of the zopetoolkit and not extend the ztk.cfg.
>
> This will be a extra step in the release proces. When doing the release I'll
> change the release notes accordingly.

I wonder now:

Couldn't grokproject depend on zc.buildout itself?

This would (maybe) solve two things:

1) Simplify the ugly dance in grokproject.util where buildout functionality is
invoked as well.

2) We could maybe make use of buildout functionality in grokproject to retrieve
the version requirements as buildout can, obviously, recurse through the extends
directives. We would then not have to flatten zopetoolkit's ztk.cfg and
zopeapp.cfg and groktoolkit's grok.cfg version parts into one file...

regards,
jw