[Grok-dev] making Grok work with toppcloud

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sat Jan 30 18:14:35 EST 2010

Hi there,

Ian Bicking has something new: toppcloud:

http://blog.ianbicking.org/2010/01/29/new-way-to-deploy-web-apps/

Deploying Grok applications quickly ("to the cloud", or just to a single
server) is something I've been wishing for for a while. It would be
interesting to see whether we can find a way to deploy Grok applications
with toppcloud.

The biggest immediate stumbling block is that toppcloud (for interesting
design reasons, read the blog entry) doesn't allow building on the
server. For binaries you need to install an Ubuntu .deb. For everything
else, from what I see so far, you just need to copy over Python code.

Another issue that might come up is that "all file paths must be
relative as they can be moved around". I'm not *sure* that is a problem
for us, as I don't fully understand it, but it's interesting.

Besides that, I think we're okay, as Grok can function as a WSGI
application, which is what toppcloud needs.

A way I can see to integrate this with buildout would be to create a
buildout recipe that can install a Grok application stand-alone as a
WSGI application. zc.sourcerelease would be something to look at.

This application can then be copied over to toppcloud using the
toppcloud tools. We'd also need to provide .deb packages for all the
not-pure-Python code that Grok relies on (the ZODB, zope.interface, and
a few others).

Anyway, I've only barely looked into this. I just wanted to point this
out in case someone feels like volunteering.