[Grok-dev] ubuntu and installing Grok

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Jul 8 09:47:49 EDT 2010

On 07/08/2010 03:34 PM, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> A clean ubuntu server does not install setuptools. It does install
> pkg_resources though, which resulted in bootstrap.py breaking (fixed in
> svn now). I don't know if ubuntu desktop is different in this aspect.

In my original posting I did mention the problem occurs if you install
either through the system package manager. (I think python-setuptools is
the real problem but python-virtualenv depends on python-pip and that
depends on python-setuptools)

This is a serious problem for people trying out Grok, as they might have
this stuff installed that way and are unlikely to dig far enough to
figure out what's going on.