[Grok-dev] a grok installer download Was: Re: remove the download tarball functionality from grokproject?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Mar 2 11:14:42 EST 2010

Leonardo Rochael Almeida wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 20:09, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
[installing stuff in site-packages]
> Another consideration is that going this route would perhaps make us
> more compatible with the non-buildout python world, which might,
> arguably, make things like using mod_wsgi easier.

I guess because you don't need to set up the buildout paths manually
that mod_wsgi needs?

We could provide a recipe that helps set up a mod_wsgi installable
script that places the paths correctly, if that is a problem.

I don't think we're going to give up buildout any time soon; it's just
too useful. What I do think is useful is some kind of deployment version
we can generate that is buildout-neutral.

[snip]
> How about a compromise?
>
> Have buildout.cfg extend a "paths.cfg" that concentrate all local
> (non-portable) paths. Emptying this file would turn it into a regular
> buildout, depending on default.cfg for caching. On the other hand, a
> change on a single line in this file would allow alternating between
> different grok-installer versions.

I don't think this works for repeatability. A user either:

* checks in a paths.cfg that works for him. That way they can easily do
the buildout, but nobody else can.

* check in an empty paths.cfg that doesn't work for him, and that isn't
tested for anyone else either.

I want what people check in work for both them and everybody else
without having to modify anything. I think that's essential: the right
way to do it should be the easiest way to do it and the most obvious way
to do it.