[Grok-dev] remove the download tarball functionality from grokproject?

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Tue Mar 2 12:19:34 EST 2010

On 3/2/10 17:20 , Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>> You could also host a simple index on grok.zope.org with just the
>> necessary packages. BFG, Plone and Pylons do that as welll and it seems
>> to work for them.
>
> I quote myself earlier in the thread:
>
>   >  Alternatively, we could introduce some reliability by running our own
>   >  mirrored package index on grok.zope.org. That just sounds too
>   >  "special" and cumbersome for us to maintain though.
>
> As far as I understand, BFG hosts an index that includes only the
> packages needed for BFG, but if you need any other packages that aren't
> on that index, you're on your own. Is that correct?

You can use multiple indexes iirc. I was also a bit inaccurate: BFG has
its own index, while Plone and Pylons have a mirror of all packages that
you can use with find-links. That is simpler to setup and gives the
same effect. See http://dist.plone.org/release/3.3.4 for an example.

> We want the system to fall back on PyPI for other packages, otherwise
> how are people going to install a library that isn't in that index? I
> imagine if you use easy_install you just easy install it from another
> index, but we use buildout.

find-links is your friend then :)

Wichertl