[Grok-dev] dependencies missing needed for Grok 1.1 backwards compatibility

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Mar 9 11:12:46 EST 2010

Hi there,

I'm trying to upgrade a project to use Grok 1.1. Some dependencies are
missing from Grok proper that are needed for backwards compatibility.

In the past we discussed a "backwards compatibility" package that would
have these dependencies on packages that used to be in Grok 1.0 but that
Grok 1.1 doesn't pull in anymore. Someone who is updating a Grok app to
Grok 1.1 could then also depend on this grokbackward package to pull in
the old dependencies. They could then work on removing these
dependencies step by step.

Do people think this is a good idea? The alternative would be to write
upgrade notes asking people to change their imports, but the drawback
would be that there's no way to get code working without changing imports.

The one I just ran into is zope.app.catalog, but I imagine there are
more. Could someone do a comparison between the packages pulled in by
Grok 1.0 and Grok 1.1rc1 and make a list?