[Grok-dev] dependencies missing needed for Grok 1.1 backwards compatibility

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 16:12:46 EST 2010

Steve Schmechel <steveschmechel at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is there a reason that someone would have to quickly upgrade to
> Grok 1.1, and not have the time to fix the dependencies in their
> own application?  If there is some sort of major security issue
> discovered, it should probably be fixed in version 1.0 and 1.1
> anyway.
>
> I think having this package available will just tempt people to
> be lazy and put off really updating their application.  Either
> it just delays the inevitable, or the package would need to be
> maintained indefinitely.
>
> I am +1 on good upgrade notes (regardless of whether the
> "backwards compatibility" package is available or not).

I realize that I cannot regard myself as the typical developer *with*
Grok, but I'd like to fix my code when I upgrade to a newer Grok
version. That's what I would like other developers to do too.

+1 on upgrade notes.

-0 on putting lots of work in backwards compatibility packages - we
just do not have the developer-bandwidth for this.

regards,
jw