[Grok-dev] dependencies missing needed for Grok 1.1 backwards compatibility

Aroldo Souza-Leite asouzaleite at gmx.de
Tue Mar 16 03:12:53 EDT 2010

Hi list,

Uli Fouquet wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Steve Schmechel wrote:
>

>> Is there a reason that someone would have to quickly upgrade to
>> Grok 1.1, and not have the time to fix the dependencies in their
>> own application?  If there is some sort of major security issue
>> discovered, it should probably be fixed in version 1.0 and 1.1
>> anyway.
>>
>> I think having this package available will just tempt people to
>> be lazy and put off really updating their application.  Either
>> it just delays the inevitable, or the package would need to be
>> maintained indefinitely.
>>
>> I am +1 on good upgrade notes (regardless of whether the
>> "backwards compatibility" package is available or not).
>>

> Just having (nearly) finished such an upgrade for a larger project, I
> agree with Steve (and Souheil and JW).
>
> A backward-compat package would mean much work, could not guarantee to
> succeed and would only delay the inevitable. Beside this, the upgrade
> was not _that_ difficult. A list of 'moved' packages/components would,
> however, make sense for me (especially for zope.pluggableauth, where I
> had some issues). But that'd certainly be part of good upgrade notes.

+1 on excellent upgrade notes, documentation and community support for
upgrading to Grok-1.1.

-1 on too much work on backwards compatibility.

It is nice enough of the Grok community if the upgrade notes include a
polite hint for "lazy" customers who for some reason want to use
Grok-1.1 without completely upgrading their application.  This should be
left possible, but these customers should hire somebody to do it for
them as a special case.

I my humble opinion the Grok community should concentrate its efforts on
giving a lot of help to people who found Grok=<1.0  very useful, but now
**desperately** want to upgrade.

Grok-1.1 is too cool for false modesty.

Best regards,

Aroldo.